NATURAL RESOURCES CAREERS CAMP (NRCC)
Sunday, July 22 - Saturday, July 28, 2018
Join high school students from across Maryland at this week-long camp in Garrett County to explore careers and college studies in natural resources. This partnership with Allegany College of Maryland and the Maryland Department of Natural Resources-Forest Service offers high school students a co-educational opportunity to learn from industry professionals and develop contacts that could lead to future employment and a career in natural resources.
- Focus on hands-on classroom and field activities in forestry, wildlife, ecology, fisheries, watershed management, natural resources management and conservation.
- Talk with natural resource professionals throughout the week and learn about college programs offered in their respective fields.
- Use GIS, GPS, computer simulation, and other field tools related to careers in natural resources.
- Stay in rustic cabins in the scenic mountains of Garrett County.
- Students who reach age 16 before the end of NRCC week may choose to earn two college credits (fees required) from Allegany College of Maryland. To be eligible, students must complete a short exam, and present a team management plan. The two college credits will transfer to most community colleges in Maryland and several four year colleges and universities.
- Become eligible for college scholarships designated for forestry, arboriculture, urban forestry and natural resources.
- Recently graduated high school students are welcome to apply.
The $450 NRCC Tuition Fee includes lodging and meals for the entire week and is normally paid for by the local Maryland Forestry Board (in-state only). Students are responsible for the $125 Student Activity Fee. Find contact info for all county Forestry Boards at www.marylandforestryboards.org/chairs.cfm.
How to Apply
Space is limited to 42 NRCC students. Applicants will be interviewed and approved on a first-come basis. In addition, students from bordering states (DC, DE, PA, VA, WV) are welcome to apply and will be interviewed by the nearest local Forestry Board.
- Determine that you are available to attend NRCC at the Hickory Environmental Education Center in Accident, Maryland for the entire 7-day period of Sunday, July 22 - Saturday, July 28, 2018.
- Complete the online application per the Application Instructions (download here). Have your parent/guardian mail in the Signature Pages to the Program Director (download here).
- Have 2 Letters of Recommendation submitted online by either a teacher, counselor, club adviser or other adult who is not a family member. The Letter of Recommendation form can be completed on this page.
- Prepare for a brief interview with your local Forestry Board who will contact you after your application is submitted. Each Board selects its applicants and notifies students that they are to submit payment of the $125 Activity Fee in order to complete registration. All payments should be made payable to and sent to the Maryland Forestry Foundation (see address in the Instructions, section #6).
- Make sure you arrange transportation to and from Hickory Environmental Education Center, 604 Pride Parkway, Accident, MD 21520 (located behind Northern Garrett High School), arriving on Sunday, July 22, by 3 PM and leaving on Saturday, July 28, by 1 PM.
- You will be notified of final acceptance by your local forestry board. NRCC Program Director, Gabrielle Oldham, will follow-up with all necessary information for you to have a successful week at NRCC.
APPLY for NRCC 2018!